2005-08-01

First Post: Farewell (Good Riddance), Xanga.

I've just switched from xanga to blogger (well actually I registered this account several months ago to see what blogger is like from the inside). You almost certainly were directed here from my xanga. I switched mainly because xanga just sucks, and blogger is just better, basically.

1) The stupid freakin adds are annoying.
2) Xanga is really inflexible unless you "support them by going premium". In which case,you've probably gone so batshit insane with premium features that your site is utterly illegible.
3) Blogger is more accessible to people who don't have accounts and doesn't try to blackmail you into getting one and make you feel trapped. You don't have to have an account to post comments, unless the author of that blog chooses. Its xml is more usable and publicized, although xanga does have xml feeds, in the form of http://www.xanga.com/rss.aspx?user=[user]. They don't want you to know this, though, cause then there's a convenient way for you to read all your xangas without joining.

So, despite the fact that I will no longer be posting on xanga, you can still easily and conveniently read my blog by downloading RSSOwl, or any other RSS aggregator and adding my feed, http://gauchodaspampas.blogspot.com/atom.xml. Additionally, as I mentioned, you can add all your xangas, too.

Filed in:

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2005 07:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. First one friend moves from MySpace (now owned by NewsCorp) to LiveJournal and then this.

Also, another great RSS/Atom reader is Bloglines, one of the few webapps — along with Gmail and Flickr — that I don't mind using.

 
At 8/09/2005 05:09:00 PM, Blogger AA said...

I tried out bloglines. It was pretty nice. Still, my preference is rssowl because it is more feature rich. Particularly, I like that in RSS owl, it doesn't automatically mark a whole feed as read when you open it. Only when you open a particular entry. I'll probably put all my subscriptions in bloglines though, so that I can easily access them from any computer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home