2007-03-26

Sorry Opera.

In my last post I had said that I would end up using both firefox and opera. Opera when I mostly just need to do various searches, and firefox if I know where I'm going. This was because firefox loads pages faster, while opera has superior search functionality (or so I thought).

Alex pointed out to me a neat extension that comes close to equaling opera's awesomeness. It's not quite as good, but came awfully close. Then I realized that firefox has a feature almost exactly like the one opera offers. It was just hiding right under my nose. In opera, you can right click on any search field on any website, then click "add search". A dialog opens, you add a title for that search (such as 'google'), and a keyword (such as 'g'), and you're done. Now when you type "g (blah)" in your address bar, it automatically uses google to search for (blah). The same can be done not just for any search engine, but any search field on any webpage. In firefox, you can do basically the same thing. Right click on any search field, click on "add a keyword for this search", and a very similar dialog opens. Type in a name for the search, and a keyword, then choose where in your bookmarks to file it. That is the one down side. I like the way opera's works better. It's its own feature. In firefox, they have it tied to bookmarks for some reason. No biggie though, and still basically works the same. So now, you're ready to do the exact same thing as described for opera. Editing your various searches is a little easier in opera, I think. Go to preferences and click on the search tab. From there you can edit all the names and keywords for all your searches. In firefox, you have to go to your bookmarks menu, then right click on whichever search bookmark you want to edit, and click on "properties." I like opera in that respect a little better, but not enough to get me to stay with opera. So firefox it is for good now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home