2005-08-12

I, Verismo

My friend, Michael, has been writing poems lately about industrial objects. My personal favorite is his first one, about a street light. Yesterday he asked me for more ideas for his poetry. Since I just started working at Starbucks about a month ago, many of the objects I thought of were ones that can be found in Starbucks. So I proposed that he write about a blender. Then I got to thinkin about how one could write a poem contrasting a blender from Starbucks to the Verismo Espresso machine, which basically does everything for you. So I asked him if I could guest write it for him, and he said yes. So here it is, and also here:

I, Verismo

starbucks industrial blender
you mix frappuccino drinks with ease
but you are simple, brutish
you do only two things
blend high and
blend low
both with the same outcome
left alone you wreak havoc
without a lid you explode
like a violent savage beast
unsophisticated
I control you

Unlike your faithf'ly working counterpart
Verismo espresso machine
Pulls shots in just the right ammount of time
Proportions just right ev'ry time
The crema, heart and body are just right
With so little input from us
It steams milk to a perfect temp'rature
To one-sixty-five on the dot
It knows exactly what it wants and needs
"The pour spout needs rinsing right now"
It protests silently, but won't give up
So gentle, so civ'lized indeed.
But still you need a certain human touch.
But for how long?

This post, and all other posts to Clearly. The Best Blog reflect my own personal views and not those of my employer or any other person or persons.

-Edited for some crazy html errors that should have been quotation marks 2005/08/13 13:04
-Edited 7/13/06 to add disclaimer

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home